Monday, February 7, 2011

RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms

At first sight of the list, I was attracted by the word 'animate'. I thought it should be an interesting video clip, and I was right. The video uses animations to express ideas. It is really a fun to watch this video, because the animations are well drawn.


     However, finish watching this, I felt little sad about today's education, especially the part about ADHD across the country. Children with ADHD are forced to take pills in order to be concentrated on class. That sounds too pathetic.
     Are teachers making classes more and more boring? I tried to look back into my own education experience. Some parts were boring indeed, so boring that I don 't want to recall again. I could still remember, in a grammar class, after explaining a complex grammar point to us, the teacher apologized to us, 'sorry to make this class so boring, but I don't know how to make it intereting, and you'll be tested in the future exams on this point." Are we driven by rules and standards which require us to know 'what we should know as a blahblahblah'? That also sounds pathetic.
     I was surprised that when we were like 5 years old, 98% of us are genuis in divergent thinking. Sadly, as we grow up, we are more and more constrained by what we have gained from education. Instead of activate our thinking, 'we are getting our children through education by anaesthetizing them.'
     I hope I could learn more technologies from this course to activate my future students instead of anaesthetizing them, and to make study more attractive to them. Maybe animation is a good way. I am considering practicing my drawing skills. O(∩_∩)O

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

There are many ways to make classes interesting and to motivate students. Technology is just one of the ways, but even with technology a teacher can create a boring lesson. What we have to keep in mind is that technology is just a tool. It is the pedagogy that is important.