Saturday, February 26, 2011

Design a Panda Habitat

I found an interesting post, which introduces an activity called Design a Panda Habitat As it has been described in the post, "this activity would be a great context to use graphic organizers to gather information and make decisions about the elements of the habitat." Some specific vocabulary and knowledge could be learnt from this activity. The topic is attractive. And the interactive tasks are helpful, as well as fun for learners. 
    This activity reminds me of some SLG or SIM games I have ever played. One kind of SLG games requires you to find certain items from a setting according to a list or according to some riddles. I have to look up the dictionary when I encounter a word that I am not familiar with. In order to play the games well, I learnt a lot of vocabulary. Some SIM games are very authentic. Though some settings were not real enough to me when I was in China, however, when I am in US, I find they are quite close to what is really like. I learnt vocabulary and chunks in specific settings from those games.
    I consider this a good way to enlarge vocabulary and knowledge, especially when tired about reading from textbooks.

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

This sounds like a very motivating way to learn vocabulary!